It has been a long week since Madelyn was born and was brought to the NICU. We are so happy to say that we were finally discharged yesterday and the paperwork can now begin. We still have an unknown number of days here away from home but at least there is now progress being made for us to be able to leave. What we are now waiting on is the process called ICPC which means that the two states have to communicate with each other saying that it is ok for us to leave this state and travel back home. Our agency has said that it could take up to two weeks for this communication to happen but they have also seen it happen in as little as 5 days. We know the Lord already knows how long we are supposed to be here. We are just praying for patience while we wait!
Our agency has also informed us that we cannot post public pictures of Madelyn on facebook until the adoption has been finalized in a few months. I’ll tell you she is beautiful though! If you are just dying to see what she looks like you cpans end me your email address at email@example.com and we would be happy to add you to our missionary update emails. I can assure you there will be pictures of her in there!
Thank you all for your prayers. We have felt a tremendous amount of support. To Him be the glory!
Change in Scenery
Thank you everyone for your prayers and words of encouragement. Madelyn has surprised the doctors and is recovering much faster than everyone anticipated. She if off all the breathing tubes and even got her IV taken out yesterday.
Since she has progressed so well we have been moved into what they call a “step down” room in the NICU. Her oxygen levels and how fast she is breathing is still being monitored but she is doing very well. The last thing that needs to happen before we get the ok to leave is that she learn to take a bottle completely on her own (they still have a feeding tube hooked up).
We had a great Thanks Giving yesterday since it was the first time we were given the ok to hold Madelyn since she was born on Monday. Eating our Thanksgiving meal in the hospital cafeteria was not something I would want to do again but we are still grateful. Through tears Jesse and I sat in the cafeteria counting out all the things we are thankful for. We miss the kiddos back home but know that soon we will be reunited.
Continue to pray with us for the remainder of the paperwork. We need to wait to leave the state until certain documents come through so we would ask if the Lord sees fit that those details would happen quickly and we could soon be back on our way home.
It’s a Girl…Madelyn Isabel!
After making the two-and-a-half day journey to North Carolina we were planning on having breakfast yesterday morning with our social worker and the birth mom. On our way to the restaurant we got a text that she had gone into labor and we were needed to head to the hospital instead!
Her labor moved very slowly and about 10:00pm they decided to take the baby via c-section. Baby’s heart rate dropped dramatically several times prior to surgery, which led them to the c-section decision. (Madelyn Isabel was officially born at 10:22pm and weighed 7# 14oz)
April was able to be in the room with the birth mom and offered support and comfort during the operation. Once the baby was delivered, it became apparent that she had aspirated some muconium, which is somewhat common, but still a serious situation. Within a short time they informed us that they would be transporting the baby to the NICU in a higher level facility, about 45 miles away.
We stayed with Madelyn until 4am and then ran back to our lodging (1hr away) to collect our belongings. While we were gone the doctors decided to put her on a breathing machine to help her get enough oxygen into her system.
We spent most of today with her in the NICU. Right before leaving this evening we asked the nurses what they thought. They said that Maddie has made progress today. It’s still a serious situation for her, but at this point she is stable and improving! Praise the Lord!
A few other details have fallen in to place as well…
1. We’ve been referred to some housing similar to a Ronald McDonald home, so we have a place to stay.
2. Our funding level has reached 100%! Thank you to everyone who has given so generously!!
3. We’ve had excellent opportunities to speak with the birth mom, especially on a spiritual level. Continue to pray for her as she heals from the c-section and the days ahead as she adjusts to the situation.
At this point we still don’t have a timeline on when we will return back to WI, but are expecting that this new challenge will inevitably extend our stay.
We are spending a fair amount of time just waiting, so any notes of encouragement via text or email are very appreciated!
Jesse & April and Madelyn Isabel
PS - All the paperwork hasn’t been signed and processed yet, so we can’t post any photos… but we will in the future!